www.drugtreatmentcentersportsaintlucie.com offers a free advisory service to help you or your loved one struggling with addiction and may receive compensation from Featured or Sponsored listings.
Addiction Treatment Therapy in Port Saint Lucie
Addiction is a complex disease that affects both a person’s physical health as well as his or her mental health. While a person may be able to detoxify from the physical addiction to drugs or alcohol, breaking the psychological dependence requires addiction treatment therapy as well.
Addiction treatment therapy aims to acknowledge the emotional and mental aspects of addiction. It helps addict to identify triggers and temptations, and establish behaviors that can prevent a relapse.
Several approaches to addiction treatment therapy exist. Many of these focus on behavioral therapies that help identify beneficial aspects to sobriety, life skills to handle triggers, and temptations and appropriate behaviors toward drug use. If you or a loved one is need of rehabilitation, Drug Treatment Centers Port Saint Lucie can provide you with the assistance you need. Call us now at (772) 882-3919.
Types of Behavioral Treatments
- Family therapy: Family therapy focuses on education for families and the addict. However, the therapy goes beyond this focus to resolve family conflicts and identify underlying behaviors that may contribute to family dysfunction.
- Motivational interviewing: Motivational interviewing is an approach that asks a person struggling with substance abuse to identify how his or her behaviors have affected others and the person’s overall health. Additional questions include considering how a person’s life may benefit from quitting drug use. Instead of lecturing a person on reasons to quit, the addict is encouraged to realize these positive aspects on his or her own.
- Motivational incentives: Motivational incentives are often used in an inpatient setting to encourage a patient to keep progressing through sobriety through rewards. Participating in a day’s sessions or being five days sober may bring rewards, such as a voucher that is exchanged for a “prize,” or an opportunity to participate in a fun activity away from the treatment center. According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, this approach has been shown to increase effectiveness in treating opioids and cocaine abuse.
Other Types of Treatment
- SMART recovery: SMART is an acronym that stands for Self-Management and Recovery Training. This program has four chief goals for recovery: increasing motivation to quit, helping a person cope with urges, managing thoughts and relapse triggers and living a balanced life.
- Art therapy: Art therapy encourages a person to express his or her emotions through artistic methods, such as painting, drawing and sculpting.
- Music therapy: Music therapy has been shown to reduce the effects of trauma and depression in those suffering from substance abuse problems, according to the American Music Therapy Association.
- Restorative yoga: Restorative yoga focuses on progressing through gentle yoga poses as a means to achieve relaxation and focus. By engaging in physical movement that is healthy and mind-clearing, those struggling with substance abuse can benefit.
- Moral recognition therapy: This therapy is a cognitive-behavioral approach that helps a person recognize how his or her behaviors have contributed to illegal activities, such as illegal drug abuse.
- 12-Step Programs: 12-step programs include Alcoholics Anonymous and Narcotics Anonymous. These worldwide-recognized treatment programs help a person progress through a recognized 12 steps to sobriety.
- Group meetings: Group meetings bring together certain groups, such as those who abuse a particular substance, men or women or those belonging to a particular spiritual denomination to encourage each other and identify common problems associated with abuse.
- Individual counseling: Individual counseling is a one-on-one treatment approach that encourages a person to work through his or her emotions related to substance abuse and relapse.
- General spirituality: Spirituality, or belief in a higher power, can provide a person with hope and motivation for beating an addiction.
- Biofeedback: Biofeedback uses results from the measurement of a person’s brain waves to identify motivations that could help a person successfully quit abusing a particular substance.
Principles of Effective Treatment
The most important principle associated with effective drug treatment is that no single treatment will prove most effective for everyone. Effective treatments are those that apply to a particular individual and his or her motivations. Another important aspect of effective treatment is that a person realizes the battle against addiction is a lifetime journey that may require constant treatments to achieve success.
At Drug Treatment Centers Port Saint Lucie, we can help you break free from your drug and alcohol addiction by giving you the care, support and tolls you’ll need to be successful in your recovery. Call today to speak to one of our addiction specialists at (772) 882-3919.